Equine Facilitated Learning (EFL) is a unique and powerful approach to leadership development and team building that partners humans and horses to help individuals and groups develop new skills and insights. Here are five key benefits of EFL for professional groups:
- Enhanced communication skills: One of the core elements of EFL is nonverbal communication, as horses are highly attuned to body language and other nonverbal cues. By working with horses, individuals and teams can learn to communicate more effectively, build trust, and develop a deeper understanding of each other’s needs and perspectives.
- Improved emotional intelligence: Horses are sensitive animals that respond to the emotional state of those around them. By working with horses, individuals and teams can develop their emotional intelligence, learn to regulate their emotions, and become more aware of the impact their emotions have on others.
- Enhanced leadership skills: Horses naturally lead or follow one another, often changing roles depending on the situation. Contrary to popular belief, there’s no single “alpha” or “boss” in a herd of horses, however one horse may be particularly good at leading others through dangerous situations while another may be best at providing calming reassurance. Just like in groups of people, herd dynamics shift over time and across contexts. Because of this, people who participate in EFL have the chance to experiment with different ways of leading and seeing how the horses react. This can help people develop their leadership skills, learn to communicate effectively, and build confidence in their decision-making abilities.
- Improved problem-solving and decision-making: Horses are unpredictable animals, often doing exactly the opposite of what you hope or think they might do! This requires individuals and teams to think on their feet and adapt to changing situations. By working with horses, individuals and teams can develop their problem-solving and decision-making skills, learn to think creatively, and become more flexible in their approach.
- Enhanced team dynamics: Horses are social animals that rely on cooperation and communication to thrive. By working with horses, individuals and teams can develop their teamwork and collaboration skills, learn to trust each other, and build stronger relationships that can translate into better performance and outcomes.
Equine Facilitated Learning can provide professional groups with a unique and powerful approach to leadership development and team building. By working with horses, individuals and teams can develop a range of skills and insights that can enhance their communication, emotional intelligence, leadership, problem-solving, and teamwork abilities.
If you’d like to learn more about how EFL could benefit you or your team, set up a call with us today!